Concentrate feeding to the calf, even from a young age, is of major importance. Concentrates, rather than hay/straw, are what gets the rumen development to occur within the calf’s stomach; due to it’s starch element. With this in mind, calves should be offered concentrates as early as 3 – 4 days.
- Feed little and often, i.e. 100 – 200 grams per calf in the first week or two
- Ensure palatable ingredients – molasses, maize, barley.
- Ensure a high protein of 18% to encourage frame development
- Ensure free access to water
NBO961:ORGANIC CALF STARTER PELLET
- An 18% high energy high protein pellet
- Protein is derived from Soya exp and Rape exp to aid in developing the skeletal frame
- Containing Palm Kernel to enhance rumen function
- The inclusion of molasses provides a simple sugar which is easily digested and encourages intake
- Formulated with major minerals to promote good health and skeletal development